30 May 2007

Opri Sues Birkhead.


Debra Opri has filed suit against Larry Birkhead for his unpaid legal bill of over $600,000.

Debra Opri wants to force binding arbitration under the terms of a contract in which she agreed to represent Birkhead in September, according to the lawsuit filed in Superior Court.
Opri was Birkhead's lawyer in his paternity dispute with Anna Nicole Smith, over Dannielynn. It was ultimately proven that Dannielynn is Birkhead's biological daughter and he now has custody of her. Back in April Opri served Birkhead with a bill for $620,000.

On his website, Larry Birkhead makes this cryptic statement:

BILLS: I HAVE NOT MADE ANY COMMENT REGARDING AN ATTORNEY'S BILL. I HAVE REMAINED SILENT ON THIS ISSUE AND RELATED ISSUES IN THE PAST AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO THE SO IN THE FUTURE.
Of course, that statement has been up on his website for quite sometime, so I guess he's sticking to his guns and not talking to Opri about it either!.

I can't really believe that Opri is suing Birkhead over this. I understand that she wants her money, but she could come to some sort of agreement with him, after all, Opri has received incredible publicity from this case, and she couldn't buy that kind of publicity if she wanted to.


UPDATE: Larry Birkhead released an official statement to TMZ:

Despite their filings, both Ms. Opri and her attorney received notification making them aware that I would be out of the state of California taking care of my daughter until the conclusion of an upcoming June custody hearing in the Bahamas. Although at this time, the public is not aware of the unbelievable circumstances which led to me firing Ms. Opri, the only question at the end of the day is, how much money will Debra Opri be paying me? Thanks to the efforts of my Bahamas attorney, Emerick Knowles, I am fortunate enough now to be spending time with my daughter, Dannielynn.


A)Larry is going to come out of this smelling like a rose - I can just tell
B) How come everyone is now releasing their official statements directly to TMZ? Lohan just did that and now Larry?

No comments: